Sunday, September 1, 2013

Week 1: Arriving in Galway and ensuing shenanigans!

Hello loves!

First off, sorry if this is a poor blog, I've never done this before but I thought it'd be a cool week by week update on my whereabouts and doings! Once classes start (tomorrow eek!) my weekends will probably be my only exciting times, so I'm hoping to clue you in every Sunday!

So here goes nothing...

My Daddy and I flew out on August 25th, first flight was from St. Louis to Chicago, it was over in about 40 minutes, no problem.  Then came the 3 hour layover until we'd be flying to Dublin. Butttt of course, nothing goes as planned and there were issues with the plane (electronic things and then they did an engine check) so our flight was delayed an awesome 4 hours.  We got underway and I passed out, listening to Mumford and Sons on repeat and then I was woken up when we were getting close to landing.

My first thought upon landing in Dublin was "Green." I just looked out the window as we're taxing to disembark and all I saw was green, it was awesome! We took a bus from Dublin to Galway and I'd like to tell you that I was so excited I stayed awake and took in all the sights of the Irish countryside...but I passed out again.  I did see some sheep though.

 
Figure 1: Map of Ireland.  The city I'm living in is Galway, in County Galway

We checked in to our hotel and grabbed a bite to eat from a Pub called "The Front Door".  We fly around the world and we got to an Irish Pub, and what does my Daddy order to drink? A Budweiser.  But never fear, I got a cider :) We went to bed pretty early, since we were planning on getting up to see the city and check me in to my dorm.

I don't have pictures of my dorm yet, sorry I'll add them soon, but I'm living with Matt, Nathan, and Eric who are all BMEs from Purdue! There are 3 bedrooms (Matt and Nathan are sharing), 1.5 baths, a tiny kitchen, and a living area. The major advantage to living with 3 guys? They kill all the spiders, of which there happen to be many.  After we moved all my stuff in, we went to go get the things I had been planning on buying here and to tour the city and college.

Figure 2: Awesome view of Galway.

The rest of the week has been a blur of getting over jet lag, orientation for NUI-Galway, checking out pubs, and meeting people. The section of Corrib Village we're living in seems to be mostly international students, which is pretty nice because they're already moved in so we've met quite a few of our neighbors.  It's kind of worrisome that classes start tomorrow and the plans for senior design are still iffy, but I'm sure it will all work out splendidly! When I have my schedule hammered out I'll attach it, but right now I'm planning on taking senior design, a finite element class, a tech elective type class (either tissue engr or quality management), bioethics, and a history of the Celts.  Definitely a wide variety! 

When I have my facebook back I'll post all the pictures I have accrued in this first week :)

So far:
 Fave thing: The city, the campus, walking around it's absolutely gorgeous!
Least fave thing: Never knowing when it's going to rain! 
Random Funny: The fire alarms keep going off in our apartment...and only in the building we live in. Twice we've had to go stand outside while they are blaring until someone comes and turns them off! Not the best way to meet the neighbors.
Next week I'm looking forward to: Classes starting and getting in to a schedule! and hopefully a weekend trip :)

See you next week!
All my love,
Amy Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment