Sunday, September 29, 2013

Weeks 4 and 5: What I'm Still in College?? and Westport!

Hey y'all!

Sorry I didn't update you last week, but not that much happened.  I did things like homework, and senior design because apparently I'm supposed to learn more than the drinking culture of Ireland here (crazy I know).  So last weekend all the roomies and I worked on our senior design project on a *gasp* Friday evening.  I know, I know, I totally just ruined their street cred.  But afterwards we watched a movie called Perfume, suggested by Nathan.  I wanted to watch the Hobbit but got shut down, I think solely because I suggested it.  The film is about a boy with the world's best nose and what he does in his life (spoiler alert: it involves killing lots of people, orgies, and cannibalism). Weird movie. Saturday was a lazy bum day and this time two movies were watched! Star Trek into the darkness (sooo good) and Now You See Me (only Matt hadn't seen it and he got uber confused because it kept jumping).  Sunday we ordered a pizza (!) and Nathan introduced me to the second season of American Horror Story which is messed up, scary, and really good.  And as I normally hate anything that goes "boo" you know it's gotta be good for me to keep asking Nathan questions until he gets the hint and takes out his headphones.

I may have not mentioned this yet but my roommates all have a TV fetish.  The three of them will sit on the couch in the dark with their computers on their laps just watching various TV shows.   Eric lives on ER and may self-combust when he finishes the series.  Matt has just recently gotten hooked on ER, via Eric, and who knows what Nathan's watching.  The TV is always a steady stream of BBC, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, and game shows.  I watch so much more TV here, but at least a lot of its the news!

Oh! Last week we also went out as a group (Purdue peeps and SLU friends) to the 90s night at College Bar! There was a live band and the music was awesome, because it was 90s music.  We then decided to head into town.  We went to a pub and then somehow managed to lose Matt, and had no clue where the heck he went.  We looked through the entire pub and around it and had Nathan go into the restroom twice. We then went to this bar/dance place called Stock Exchange which was really nifty because the prices of the drinks change based upon how popular they are so you try and get them for really cheap.

This week was a pretty fun week :) Wednesday evening we had a girls night! So I pretty much went out with my friends I've met here and told my roomies they couldn't come.  There was a Disney trivia at the College Bar, but we nixed that idea when we realized it cost 5 euro each.  Then we went in to town to a pub called KingsHead where I rediscovered my love of vodka-cranberry and we listened to live music (what I love most about pubs) and had girl talk, which ironically consisted mainly of talking about boys.  We went to a second pub called the Front Door for one last drink and then went to a dance club which was fun to just dance around and wear off some energy.

Thursday was Arthur's Day, which is bigger than St. Patrick's Day in Ireland.  It's always on a Thursday in September and you throw Guinness in the air at 17:59 (year Guinness was invented). Sadly I missed that because I was in class :( But I still went to a pub with some friends where we discovered a mysterious third floor that had more live music! The band was AWESOME! There was a bass guitar, violin, old guy who sang and banged a drum, two guitars, bagpipes, more drums, wooden blocks, a flute/clarinet cross, and a woodwind instrument.  Mama - you would have loved them! They were so so so so so so sooooo amazing!

Friday we decided to chill at the apartment.  Bridget really wanted to bake so we made sugar cookies, and they actually turned out how they were supposed to! Yummmm :) We then watched the Emperor's New Groove.  Saturday we took the bus in to Westport.  Since we booked it kind of late we had to stay in a B&B, which ended up being 10 km from city centre. Thank goodness we found a guy to drive us there.  But our B&B was precious!



Figure 1: Our B&B from the road.

We decided to walk in to town...which was around a 3 hour walk.  But the weather was gorgeous and we got to see some interesting things, like the famine ship memorial.


Figures 2 and 3: Memorial!

We also saw horses, cows and sheep! Yay animals :) When we got in to town we walked around a bit, and realized we got there right when all the shops were closing.  So, we got food.  After dinner we went in to a pub for a drink because we thought there was going to be live music.  Since there wasn't we left.  Thankfully we got a ride back from a nice Irish man.

In the morning we got breakfast from the lady who runs our B&B.  She made us a full Irish breakfast consisting of mushrooms, tomatoes, white pudding, a french toast slice, sausages, an egg, and Irish bacon.  She also gave us cereal, toast, pancakes, and the best coffee of my life.  Anna- you will be happy to know that I did try everything on my plate (except tomatoes because ew and mushrooms because they are a FUNGUS) and I still do not like eggs or sausages.  The white pudding was ok, and Irish bacon is like Canadian bacon: it's more ham and not that nasty nasty excuse for edible things that is American bacon.

We then began the ascent of Croagh Patrick.  Eric is a regular hiker so he all but skipped up the mountain, Bridget and I were a little bit timid however.  The first part is a winding uphill section that's kind of steep, but not awful.  When you finish that you think you're about half way, but that's a lie.  You then go on a semi-level walk for a bit and that's when the wind really started to hit because we didn't have anything to stop it.  Then we reached the bottom of the third part, aka the STEEP part.  It was really foggy today, so when we were looking up we couldn't see how far we had to go, which was a good thing otherwise I would've said "um no, not happening". As it was, I was like, well I've already come this far.  Eric and Bridget just went for it, but I took a slower more meandering, I was terrified to fall down route, aka a lot lot lot slower.  I met tons of lovely people who were heading down who were full of the encouragements: "Oh it's not that much farther!" "You're almost there" "Only 10/15 more minutes"...they were all liars.  The fog was so dense you could only see for about 20 ft in front or behind you, so it was strangely peaceful even though my legs were on fire and really made you think about when St. Patrick was doing this journey to fast for 40 days and nights or when people do it barefoot (insane).  When I was almost at the top Eric and Bridget were heading down (they didn't stay long at the top due to wind).  I reached the top and had my moment of woo-hoo accomplishment! Which quickly turned into "Oh my lanta this is freezing and I am going to blow over if I don't take cover!" Which led me to the church.  It was small yet lovely inside.  Also, there is something about being on top of a mountain that makes you feel closer to God.  I felt completely serene in that tiny church on top of a mountain with winds that would make Dorothy jealous.  Then began the descent, and the moment when you realize that while you have climbed to the top, you are in reality only half way done with the journey at that point. Coming down the fog started to lift and I got to take some pretty pictures.

Figure 4: Simply gorgeous!

Going down was not easy, I fell 3 times on the steep part and twice on the casual incline.  But, my goal was to fall under 5 times so I just hit my limit! I was pleased :) At the start of the climb I wasn't so positive that I wanted to do this, but Eric insured me it would be worth it.  And I must say, even though it was so windy and foggy once you reached the top that pictures were pointless and just a mass of gray on gray, I fell and got bumped and bruised, and my legs were so sore they were telling my brain that I could totally just roll down-that it was 100%, not even a doubt in my mind, completely and absolutely worth it.  I know a lot of people can say they've climbed this mountain, but I'm pretty damn pleased to count myself in that number.

Figure 5: On the descent, Croagh Patrick is in the background, shrouded in fog.

I have had an amazing past two weeks! But the whole reason I started blogging tonight was because Eric informed me it was not socially acceptable to go to bed at 8:45 when we got back, but now it is after 10, and I feel that is much more acceptable and quite frankly, past my bedtime.

See you next week!
All my love, 
Amy Liz

P.S. Shout out to the best ladies ever for sending me an awesome Halloween package!!! Lauren, Kelsey, and Sasha are the best and sent me kitkats, graham crackers, chocolate icing, Purdue socks (which I wore to hike!), and a Purdue Hello Kitty!!!!! I loved it all, but not nearly as much as I love and miss you three!!!! <3 


No comments:

Post a Comment